Tuesday, October 20, 2015

We've Got the Itch!



One year ago....a lot has changed since then.
Exactly one year ago, we were in the US enjoying one of those whirlwind trips to visit family, stay connected to our support team, and to get away from the hectic and often burdensome schedule of our lives in Cusco. Since then, a lot has happened.
It seems that after a period of time, we start getting the itch to return to the US for a visit. We begin to talk about how we miss this or that, share memories of previous visits, see the Facebook pics of friends and family and just long to be there with you all.
It's part of our lives. It drives us to keep going and finish what we are here to do. We are living an exciting life for sure. The days are filled with many tasks. For our family, there is homeschool, at least at the moment. We have found a school for Emma and will start at the beginning of the next school year. As for Kayle, we are putting a lot of emphasis on getting her ready for college through an intense homeschool program. Teri is putting much of her effort into the girls education. I have been able to pitch in and help where I can. One of the things I look forward to each week is a class I have with Kayle. We call it PhotoMoto. We have a weekly photography/film theme, study it via an online lesson, then we take the motorcycles out to put our new knowledge into practice. We combine photography, dirtbikes, exercise, and most importantly, time together. My little girl is growing up. I don't want to miss it!
Trying to find the creative stuff
A pretty scene...maybe a website foto!
Gotta have a selfie to prove we were there
Many of you know that we have made some big changes in the last year. Our main focus of The Meeting Place Cafe ministry has been passed on to another missionary family. I am happy to report that the cafe is going strong. They are often overwhelmed with customers looking for a great place to sip a coffee or enjoy a pastry delight. The popularity has grown and will continue to operate well into the future. I cannot tell you how pleased I am to have the plan working so smoothly. They continue to support the Altivas Canas Children's project on a monthly basis which provides nutritious meals for the kids, school supplies, staff, and many other necessities.
We love being here in Peru. Our family is happy and doing well. Our local church reminds us of our congregation back home. We have learned to deal with the nuances of the culture on most days and have settled into life in this world.
Our main ministry focus is Motomission Peru. This MotoMission adventure is a perfect fit. It connects my craziest passions and gifts together. My face lights up when I talk about our work. It's compelling and contagious. I have discovered just how much busy work there is in this business. I find myself writing, designing, and talking  for countless hours each day. My mind never stops.  And so it goes, a hyper-focused kid trapped in an aging body, who loves motorcycles and is always excited about the day to come.


video
The day to day stuff we do is not always the most exciting. We are not like all the other missionaries who are paddling canoes up and down the Amazon for days on end, month after month. I had that idea of missionaries at one point. How it boils down for us, is to connect with people. That is what MotoMission has done. I cannot tell you how many influential people I have met because of what I do.  There is a "club" if you will, of accomplished dirtbikers in Peru. The MotoMission story has inspired a large majority of that group. The word has spread, thus people are made aware, and in the end, I get phone calls or emails from people wanting to do tours. Along with a lot of writing/blogging, people are seeing what MotoMission is all about. It doesn't go as fast as I want, but the number of tour inquiries has increased significantly over the last 6 months. I am excited to see where the next year or two will take us.
On that note, I want to say thank you for taking this journey with us. So many of you continue to support our family and ministry by financial means as well as lifting us up in prayer. We are so fortunate to have a team that partners with us and understands what we do. Please continue to keep us in prayer for physical protection, financial security, and that through MotoMission, we would continue to reach people.

With our hearts full of blessings,
The Englund Family
Scott, Teri, Kayle, and Emma

If you would like to join our support team, we would be honored. You can contact our mission organization, Commission to Every Nation(CTEN), and set up a monthly support program with us at www.cten.org/scottenglund/ or by calling them at  (800) 872-5404.

No comments: