Friday, June 6, 2014

Strap on Your Helmet!!!



The other day I was on a motorcycle tour on the outskirts of Cusco.  I often find myself riding through the area of Huilkarpay. This is a little community that holds a special place in my heart. Many of you have followed the story of Jason over the past few years. Well, the story continues…

While passing through the community, we came up to three boys who were participating in the arduous long walk to town to get to school. I know most every kid in the town because of past work in the community. I stopped as I recognized a couple of the boys; the older ones.

It only took a moment to realize that the little guy that was walking with the older boys was my favorite little guy in the community. It was Jason’s little brother, Antauro. He is the youngest boy in the family. He is a wild little guy full of energy and always with a smile on his face.  He knew it was me, but it took a second for me to realize that my little buddy Antauro was standing right in front of me.
He didn’t care. He charged me as if I was candy bursting out of a piñata. He had a tight hug and a bunch of love to pass on. It was certainly one of the highlights of my day. That kid is cool!
I offered to help with the three kids to get them down the hill a bit closer to their school, but I quickly realized that between the two motorcycles, we didn’t have space for all three boys. The older boys kindly offered to walk and let Antauro receive the privilege.

I put Antauro in front of me on the motorcycle, he grabbed on to the crossbar of my handlebars, and we took off down the hill towards Cusco.

Chaska and Emma Playing With Dinner
For Antauro, motorcycles are as cool as it gets. He had his bug catching grin stretched out for the world to see. He was thrilled to be hanging with his padrino on a motorcycle on his way to school. It was fun for me too.

I dropped him off at the door of his school and returned back to the house to complete the tour. However, the story doesn’t stop there.
A day or two later, we were invited by Antauro’s family to come up and have dinner. We agreed and went up a few evenings later. It was a great time and an even better cultural exchange.
We ate outside in the freezing cold night, under the stars. A concoction of local food served up, hodge podge style, in a large soup bowl. It was a nice evening of fellowship with the family. We have a lot of history with them and it’s always nice to keep connected.

During our time sitting on the little plastic stools under the stars, Antauro’s father explained something that had happened over the past two days since I had given Antauro a ride to school.
The View From Huilkarpay
The day after I saw Antauro, he got up and ready for school like normal. Then he proceeded to put on an old motorcycle helmet that they had around the house. He waited in anticipation and hope that I would be swinging by at about the same time. He wanted to be ready when his ride came along…such anticipation.

As we hung out with the family for the evening, I got to see Antauro and his helmet. There are not many things cuter than that! 

I got to thinking about the significance of anticipation. What a life giving emotional experience it can be; the power, the hope, the thrill. Anticipation is an amazing thing to develop into our lives. I want to challenge you to think about the anticipation you have in your life. I want to challenge you to develop and use it to benefit your outlook, your attitude. Anticipate big things. Anticipate good things. Anticipate eternal things. It’s like positive thinking…There is a lot of power in it.
Now it’s time to go strap on your helmet…


No comments: