Saturday, April 5, 2014

Thanks on Behalf of ...

Charlie...Say no more!
 I saw a Facebook post this morning from a volunteer that is staying with us at the café. As I read his post, I could not help but respond. In fact, I not only responded, but was brought to tears as I had one of those realizations that shook me to my core. It was a beautiful notice of a divine principle that has the potential to touch every soul around us.

Charlie is his name. If you have not met Charlie, you are missing out. He would have been one of the guys that would have joined Jesus to start the early church. He’s that kind of fellow.

Charlie had written a Facebook post that basically said thank you for those that have partnered with him to allow him the blessing of being able to come to Peru and serve here in our café and ministry.

So, I read it. It was 5am. Typically, I would be reading the backs of my eyelids at that hour, but somewhere in mind, the alarm went off to bring me to double check my phone to realize just how early it was. 5am….ouch…
No matter, I noticed that I had a couple of messages. I checked them. While passing through to receive my Facebook messages, Charlie’s post caught my eye. I am now sitting at the kitchen table clacking away with a hope to reach out to you in a way to say thank you in a most unpeculiar way. Here it is…
The start of a great day of riding...
While I read Charlie’s Facebook message, I quickly developed a deep sense of gratitude for the amount of support that we, the Englund family, have received over the past 5 and a half years. I will attempt to give you a sense of the impact you have made, but I know that I cannot do it justice. It’s kind of like trying to describe God; Tough to get the full effect. I will give it my best…
Yesterday, I was riding a dirt bike with two guys from Northern California; A couple of great fellas. These guys came into the café, because they read about us in The Lonely Planet. They wanted to get a good breakfast. When they walked in, they saw a poster in our entry way that mentioned “Moto Tours.” These guys looked it over and decided to ask for more information. I gave it to them full force with a high definition video and high energy sales pitch that had them sold in just a moment.

These two guys met each other because of dirt bikes. They are great friends that are traveling together in South America. They came to Cusco to see Machu Pichu. They are friends because of dirt bikes. That is a deep tone in their friendship.
Riding dirtbikes with MotoMission=helping support single mothers
When they saw the poster, they both turned on something in their brains about riding dirt bikes in Peru. Not a chance…Who does that? They thought...Well, Uncle Scotty(What I call myself in the 3rd person) is behind the bar serving coffee and just happens to know how these boys can experience a moto tour at the highest level.

To shorten up the story, I found myself taking these guys on a one day dirt bike tour of a lifetime; Bucket list type of stuff. Needless to say they were satisfied.

So here goes the idea that brought me to tears this morning…I was riding up a breathtaking ridgeline yesterday while on this Moto Tour. It was breathtaking, not only because of the beauty, but also because we were riding above 14,000 feet elevation.  I looked up at the horizon, then down at the city of Cusco that lay nestled into the valley floor. I realized just how blessed I am to be able to do what I am doing. I am living a dream. It doesn’t make sense, but then again, life has never really made a lot of sense. Parts do, but this still blows my mind.

Change the channel to Charlie…Charlie gets a wild idea to come serve in Cusco. He reaches out to some faithful people in his life and they send him a check and give him an encouraging pat on the back and send him off to help an unknown missionary family in Cusco. Charlie shows up and jumps right in. He figures out Cusco really quick. He makes some friends, learns how to do things at the café, hangs with my 11 year old daughter like a big brother within moments of meeting her, gets to know our cafe customers, and begins making a difference in the lives of those around him.  An ideal missionary!

Happy Cafe Customers=Kids with school supplies
Here is where the blessings spread. Charlie arrives. I have been working day after day to keep things operating smoothly at the café and other ministries in which we are involved. It has taken its toll on us. Workaholic is the term that comes to mind.

I love what I do, but it is a heavy pace to maintain for any length of time. Charlie, as well as the other volunteers, have allowed me to breathe. I have been able to get some days away from the café for other things. I typically have been able to have three days off from the café each week. It has been a huge blessing to help me rebalance my life. It has provided me with some well needed family time, get caught up on some daily stuff, as well as provide the time flexibility for developing MotoMission. I cannot be more grateful to have good volunteers to serve at the café. I don’t need to think about the café on my days off.

Also, as many of you know, I have a crazy passion for dirt bikes. I have since started a dirt bike tourism company that uses 100% of the profits for ministry. I can use some of my extra time away from the café to do moto tours So, when a customer walks into the café and wants to do a moto tour, I often find myself doing what I love to do, and making a good chunk of cash to support an awesome social project in town, namely the Altivas Canas Children’s Project.  That is what happened yesterday.
Blessed ministry at The Meeting Place=Blessed kids at Altivas Canas

Many of you have supported our family through hours and hours of prayer, thousands of dollars to help us with our living expenses, donations for specific projects, sweat and blisters as many have joined us in our work for periods of time, and many of you have been a needed shoulder on which to pour out our tears. There is no way we can say Thank You enough. But THANK YOU!

I not only want to say thank you, but I also want you to know just how far that “thanks” reaches. I want to say thank you for the kid in the community of Picol that is going to school now with a full backpack of supplies. He is able to go to school because of the school supplies provided by customers at the café. I want to say thank you from the single mothers of the kids at Altivas Canas. They are able to go and work and thus provide a living for their families. I want to say thank you for the people that get a good coffee each morning at the café. I want to say thank you for Charlie. He has a place to use his talents and passions to serve Jesus in a way that will change his life forever. I want to say thank you for the ten thousand people that showed up to our event in Arequipa a few years back. They were able to hear a message that changed many of their lives. I want to say thank you for the two fellas that were able to ride dirt bikes in the Andes yesterday, a lifelong dream of many dirt bikers.
Happy Volunteers=Happy Customers
Without Charlie covering at the café, I would not have been able to do the moto tour yesterday. Without the moto tour yesterday, the kids at Altivas Canas would not have a wholesome meal to eat and their mothers would not be able to work. Without the café, Charlie would not have a place to cover for me. Without a good help at the café, it would not have a good ambiance nor would we take such great care of our customers. Without great customers, we would not have good reviews. Without good reviews we would not have an article in The Lonely Planet. Without the article in The Lonely Planet, the two dirt bikers would not have shown up to eat breakfast the other day. Without people like many of you supporting our family, the café would not be in existence, we wouldn’t be here, and none of the stuff we are involved in would be taking place. Do you see? It is an unending circle of blessings. I am so thankful to be a part of it all. I want to say thank YOU for being a part of it all.
Blessings multiply and reach out to others...

Don’t ever underestimate a simple blessing. When you realize a blessing, you give it power to transform the world. Blessings are the most effectual thing in life. Once started, it keeps going, whether you know it or not.

As is the case in my life and the life of my family, I, once again, want to say thank you. Thank you for putting the power of your blessings to work in my life. You are reaching into thousands of lives beyond where you targeted your blessings. Keep that in mind…Blessings are bigger than you think!

1 comment:

Christie said...

Awesome. :) I can only imagine how those guys must have felt after getting to unexpectedly ride dirtbikes. Wow! Such a great idea to connect the moto-tourism to a direct need in your town.